While serving on multiple boards—public, private, and not for profit entities—Barbara Duganier has a front-row seat to the entire energy sector value chain. That broad perspective brings rare insight to the challenges and opportunities that face the industry.
Regina Mayor, KPMG’s Global Head of Energy, interviews Barbara Duganier to learn how she transitioned from professional services, including Arthur Anderson global CFO and Chief Strategy Officer of Accenture’s outsourcing business—to a career of board services. Current boards include Noble Energy, MRC Global, Texas Pacific Land Corporation, and McDermott, just to name a few.
Ms. Duganier explains why she’s optimistic about the future of an oversupplied industry with pricing wars and an unprecedented number of energy bankruptcies—and what will be required to make the industry rise again.
Topics discussed include:
- Specific areas where boards can lend expertise and the key questions they should be asking management—as well as areas where they should resist stepping in
- The about-face COVID-19 created in terms of business focus, investment, and measurements
- The outsized impacts of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) criteria
- What it will take to convince a cynical investing public that the “greening of the grid” is real and sustainable
- Why the opportunity has never been greater to recruit new board members that have not previously sat on a board.
The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the interviewees and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of KPMG LLP