Founded in 1873 – six years before Thomas Edison invented the light bulb - Puget Sound Energy (PSE) is a Washington state energy utility providing electrical power and natural gas primarily in the Puget Sound region. Mary Kipp, President and CEO, sits down with Regina Mayor, KPMG’s Global and U.S. Head of Energy, to discuss her company’s rich history - one that evolved from providing gas lights to providing electricity - and present day challenges of being a two-month tenured CEO when COVID-19 hit. Her region was one of the first to experience the virus, and thus an industry first to model a reaction to it.
Topics discussed include:
- Progress on the top two critical PSE initiatives: 1) De-carbonization; and 2) Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Status on objectives to be coal-free by 2025, carbon neutral by 2030, and 100% renewable by 2045
- How earlier investments in digital tools have had generous returns in value, allowing service innovation and faster response times
- The unique “Get to Zero” program that has transformed the customer experience
- The importance of honest dialogue about traditionally marginalized communities and reactions to current social equity movements.
The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the interviewees and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of KPMG LLP